Auction House Hermitage Fine Art will arrange a tender in the hotel Metropol Monte Carlo. (AUCTION: 15, 16, 17 MARCH). The auction catalogue includes Russian painting and graphics, a collection of Azerbaijani artists, the poetry of the Silver Age, Russian literature abroad, items of Russian military history, as well as furniture, silver, porcelain, photography and numismatics.
The most anticipated auction lot will be a unique manuscript collection of poems by Konstantin Balmont with the personal bookplate of Sergei Lifar and nested dried flowers. Here are just a few poems from the manuscript: “Night branch”, “Raven”, “Vision of brother Ode”, “Oasis”, “Ben Akiba”, “Merge your spirit with the sea …”, “Dream”. Under each work the author indicated the date and place of writing.
In addition to the selection of books and autographs from the collection of Lifar, Hermitage Fine Art will exhibit more than 300 works of art from various thematic sections.
Among the top lots – the rare gold-laden ring with the monogram of Nicholas I, presented to them as an imperial gift in 1854 by US patent expert Edward Dickerson, who accompanied the famous American gunsmith Semyon Kolt during his visit to St. Petersburg.
The following will be presented to the public:
- A rare pair of armchairs from the collection of the Pavlovsky Palace near St. Petersburg, which goes back to the property of the widow of Paul I – Empress Maria Feodorovna.
- The bronze bust of Leo Tolstoy created by Pavel Petrovich Trubetskoy, dated 1890.
- A very rare gold coin of high quality worth ten rubles Elizabeth Petrovna (1741-1762).
- The Tula capsule pistol is a rare example of Russian firearms during the Napoleonic wars, which can take its rightful place in a museum collection or a private national collection.
- Portrait of one of the richest landowners in Russia, Lieutenant-General of the Russian Imperial Army, a participant in the Russian-Turkish War (1877-1878), Prince Dmitry Petrovich Wittgenstein, artist Bernhardt Josef Nepomuk. The incredible love story of the prince and the French actress Rosalia Leon is still reflected in modern French literature.
In the book section of the catalogue, you should highlight:
- A collection of selected poems by Ivan Bunin with the poet’s autograph.
- The first edition of the novel “Feat” – one of the most penetrating, poetic and deeply Russian works of Vladimir Nabokov, released under the pseudonym Sirin V., with the author’s dedicatory inscription to Anna Feigin.
- Books from the library of Russian businessman Boris Berezovsky.
“Last October, we presented more than 500 works of art and history of the XVIII-XX centuries. Our customers are museums and collectors from different parts of the world. There were also those who specially flew to Monaco for the auction”, – said the director of the auction house Hermitage Fine Art Elena Efremova. – “Monaco created ideal conditions for collectors and circulation of works of art. Moreover, for many decades the princedom has hosted Russian culture, and we are especially happy to support and develop this wonderful tradition. “