The world-famous Sony World Photography Awards is one of the most important regular events on the world calendar of professionals and photography enthusiasts.
The Sony World Photography Awards is a global photography horn. It gives a deep insight into current trends in this area. All images are evaluated by leading industry experts from around the world.
The total prize pool includes 60,000 US dollars as well as the latest Sony digital photo equipment.
The Sony World Photography Awards announced the winners. This photo contest is considered one of the largest and most prestigious in the world. This year, the jury reviewed more than 135 thousand pictures from 203 countries of the world.
The Sony World Photography Awards includes four contests:
- Professional – Outstanding Series Awarding;
- Open – Awarding Exceptional Single Photos;
- Youth- Definition of the best individual images of novice photographers aged 12-19 years;
- Student – Providing a platform for student photographers from around the world.
The best of the best
So, who are the winners in the main categories?
- Photographer of the Year (and Latin America Professional Award) is Pablo Albarenga for his series of shots ”Seeds of Resistance”.
- Photographer of the year in the open competition is Tom Oldham for the portrait of Charles Thompson.3. Student Photographer of the Year is John Sakellaraki from Greece for his ”Aeiforia” series -night shots of solar panels on the island of Tilos.4. Alpha Woman Award is given to Lily Dawson-Panshon for her modern version of Vermeer’s “Girl with a Pearl Earring”.5. Photographer of the Year in Youth Competition is 19-year-old Xian-Pan Xie from Taiwan for his photograph of a street performer.
Let’s take a look at the works that turned out to be winners in the general categories.
- Sandra Gerber is recognized as the best in the category Architecture for the series “Ice Fishing on Lake Winnipeg”.
- “The Hong Kong Wounds” series by Jiang Min Ko is called the best one in the Documentary category.
3. Angel Lopez is named the best for his “Senegalese Wrestlers” Series in the Sports category.
- Alessandro Gandolfi`s series “Immortality” is called the winner in the category Still life.
- Robin Hinsch got his prize in the Environment category for “The Trouble” Series.
The competition is a chance for worldwide recognition of a photographer`s work. It can change the careers of winners or those who are on the list of finalists.