About the role
The company is about to embark on further growth and is looking for a London-based Global Sales Director to develop and deliver a successful commercial strategy across all areas of The Art Newspaper’s business. Overall responsibility for the sales function of the company, includes the following:
· Develop and execute an effective strategy for advertising sales across both print and digital platforms, setting ambitious and achievable revenue targets for the UK and US sales teams
· Lead, manage and expand the in-house sales team to help drive performance and increase advertising, events and sponsorship revenues across The Art Newspaper’s portfolio of products and territories
· Nurture the existing client base, and build new client relationships, identifying opportunities for revenue growth and re-engaging lapsed clients. Develop and further diversify the roster of active clients, building on a base that includes international auction houses, commercial galleries, media agencies, museums and institutions, fairs and events, luxury brands, industry service providers and partners
· Seek out opportunities to develop new profitable initiatives via events, supplements, contract publishing, fair partnerships, new advertising clients, and digital revenue streams
· Develop and deliver ambitious sponsorship proposals around existing and new products
· Work closely with the editorial team and commercial operations director to develop new supplements, events, digital products and other revenue-driving opportunities
· Serve as the lead contact for all sister titles when a commercial project or ad buy is requested
· Lead on the Fairs sales strategy, including setting targets and liaising with the fairs and partnerships manager on the delivery of The Art Newspaper’s on-the-ground activations at international art fairs, including Frieze, Art Basel and others. Inform decisions on formats, contribute to the broader commercial strategy and post-campaign evaluations
· Work closely with the editorial, partnerships, and subscriptions teams to develop content ideas and new revenue streams; identify opportunities for subscriptions and multi-faceted commercial partnerships
· Work with the commercial art director to create all supporting sales collateral and pitch presentations
· Liaise with the finance team to ensure efficient delivery of after-sale processing, overseeing client invoicing requirements and providing support as needed
· Regularly attend and represent The Art Newspaper at industry and partner events (occasional international travel required)
The successful candidate will have achieved demonstrable commercial successes in previous roles, ideally in arts or other specialist publishing, and will have excellent contacts in the fine and contemporary art sectors. The Global Head of Sales will report to the CEO / Management Board.
Essential requirements for the role:
· Previous experience in a senior commercial role, ideally within a general publishing, arts or specialist publishing market
· Senior level contacts in the fine and commercial art sectors and the world of art business
· Senior level contacts in the luxury advertising sectors (luxury goods, private banks etc)
· Highly commercial, with an entrepreneurial approach to business development and a good understanding of the challenges facing the publishing industry
· Experience in developing and maintaining key relationships at a senior level
· Experience in effectively managing budgets including P&L, forecast and management reporting
· Excellent negotiation skills and proven ability to maintain long-standing commercial relationships
· Thorough understanding of digital platforms and products
· Excellent written and communication skills
· Highly organised with good team and management skills
· Excellent knowledge of the art sector
· Self-motivated and tenacious with a can-do attitude
· Fluent professional English speaking and writing
· Have a university level degree
What we offer
· Competitive salary commensurate with experience and commission structure
· BUPA Health insurance (subject to pre-existing conditions)
· Potential for flexible working
This is a full-time, London-based position. Interested candidates should send a CV with a covering email with “Global Sales Director” in the subject line explaining your suitability for the role to email@example.com
The Art Newspaper is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an equitable workforce and promoting qualified persons regardless of race, gender, colour, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.
About The Art Newspaper
For more than 30 years, The Art Newspaper has been covering the world of art—and the world in which art happens. We write about all the latest developments, but also analyse the most significant events and trends, looking at how the international landscape of art and culture shapes—and is shaped—by politics, society, the economy, technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, offering multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda-setting investigations and stimulating insights and opinion from around the globe.
With correspondents working in more than 30 countries, our expert, independent reporting makes us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as for collectors, art advisers, policymakers, artists, museum professionals and those who enjoy visiting art fairs and exhibitions. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Athens, Moscow and Shanghai.